- Designed For
- Individuals working in web development who want to improve their web design skills and qualifications.
- June 25 - September 2, 2018
- Online, Instructor-led
- $650 (+ $60 registration fee) per course
- $2600 for the full four-course certificate
- Ten Weeks
- Average of three hours of coursework each week
- 30 hours
- 3.0 Continuing Education Units
- Must be familiar with using computers and web browsers
Ask us about Corporate Training.
We can customize this program to fit your organization's specific needs.
Is a career in web design and development right for you? Access this free webinar and receive a list of the new career pathways and opportunities!
This online Web Design Principles course will give you a strong understanding of information and graphic design for the web/screen environment. From graphic size and resolution to color space and element layout, graphic design for the web is purposeful.
Thoughtful web designers recognize that information is only as good as its accessibility. Effective information design allows users to find and understand content as efficiently as possible.
In this course, you will build technical skills from HTML/XML and scripting to embedding rich media and understanding database connectivity. Topics include:
- The psychology and purpose of colors
- How to create wireframes based off of a website's specific requirements
- How to analyze the effectiveness of different types of graphics, both image-based and text-based
- How to organize content in a number of ways to find the optimal path for specific site users
- About different audience analysis
- Content organization and information accessibility
- How to optimize a page layout and what's needed for aesthetic styling
The course finishes by teaching you how to take content not originally intended for the web and re-purpose it so it is web-ready.
This course is part of the Web Development and Coding Certificate, which includes:
- Web Design Principles
- Web Graphics with Photoshop
- PHP and MySQL
Oregon State University College Partnership
This program is offered in partnership with the Oregon State University College of Business.
What You'll Learn
- How to create wireframes based off of a website's specific requirements.
- How to analyze the effectiveness of different types of graphics, both image-based and text-based.
- How to organize content in a number of ways to find the optimal path for specific site users.
Kevin Hanegan, B.S., is the author of 4 programming books: Building State-of-the-Art Web Pages, Custom CGI Scripting with Perl, Practical Guide to Curl, and Building Solutions with the Decision Site Analytics Platform. He has worked for a variety of software companies, universities, and corporate training centers as a course developer, trainer and consultant. He currently is Vice President of Knowledge and Learning at Qlik.