- Designed For
- Anyone who writes explanations of data or detailed information—business writers, engineers, scientists, computer professionals, etc.
- June 24 - July 21, 2019
- Online | Instructor-led
- 4 weeks
- Plan for 3-8 hours of work per week
- 1.6 CEUs | 16 PDUs
Ask us about Workforce Development Training. We can customize this program to fit your organization's specific needs.
Access the new "Technical Writing Course Essentials" webinar and learn the top five do's and don'ts of writing an instruction manual
You're smart. You may be brilliant, but if you can't communicate what's in your head to others you may run into roadblocks and dead ends.
That's why technical writing has become one of OSU's most popular courses.
Now the semester-long course is available to you in a condensed and accelerated format.
What Is Technical Writing?
Technical Writing Course
This technical writing course will give you an overview of the genre and prepare you to produce instructive, informational, and persuasive documents based on well-defined and achievable outcomes. Technical documents are precise, concise, organized, and based on complex information.
This course will teach you processes for analyzing writing contexts and help you produce effective, clean, and reader-centered documents in an efficient manner. The purpose and target audience of a document determines the style that an author chooses. In this course, you will evaluate these stylistic choices and carefully consider document layout, vocabulary, sentence and paragraph structure, and visuals, among other factors.
Upon completion, you will gain an understanding and knowledge of many technical writing documents, including reports, feasibility studies, proposals, and specifications.
You will also learn:
- How to construct a logical outline of a technical document
- How to write with awareness of expository techniques such as definition, classification, and causal analysis
- How to design an effective format and layout for a technical publication
Personalized Instructor Feedback
"Rich provided personalized feedback on each assignment, which I found invaluable. A lot of his comments and suggestions were on areas where I was a little unsure of my approach, and his insights on what would be best for the end-user were extremely helpful for me and my development as a technical writer."
-Christy Carovillano, Conservation Program Assistant with Metro Parks and Nature in Portland, OR
As a bonus, you'll get expert feedback on your chosen writing project. So if you have a tech startup proposal, for example, you can have it reviewed and critiqued before you submit to investors.
If you'd like to elevate your writing and all the benefits that come from writing advanced technical documents, you can get started right here.
Oregon State University College Partnership
This program is offered in partnership with the Oregon State University School of Writing, Literature, and Film in the College of Liberal Arts.
What You'll Learn
- Use professional technical writing conventions of clean and clear design, style, and layout of written materials.
- Create effective technical writing documents for end-users.
- Write clearly, correctly, and concisely.
- Produce clear, high-quality deliverables in a multitude of technical writing genres.
- Gather and apply researched information that is appropriate to your field, as demonstrated by reading and analyzing documents, and citing sources correctly.
In this series
Emily ElbomEmily Elbom received her BA in English and German from the University of North Dakota in 2005, her MA in English from University of North Dakota in 2008, and her MFA in Fiction from Oregon State University in 2011. She regularly teaches various on-campus technical writing courses at Oregon State, including an engineering-specific technical writing course, an Honors College technical writing course, and a technical writing course for English language learners. Outside of OSU, Emily is part of the editorial collective of CALYX Press and the steering committee of the Magic Barrel: A Reading to Fight Hunger.