- Designed For
- Landscape architects and designers, gardeners, hobbyists
- September 20 - November 29, 2018
- 10 weeks
- 2.0 CEH units from the Oregon Landscape Contractor's Board
Sustainable landscaping practices help home gardeners, professional landscapers and conservationists plan low-maintenance, eco-friendly development. OSU’s flexible new online Sustainable Landscaping course is led by one of the Pacific Northwest’s leading experts, Al Shay. Our online course allows you to work directly with Al and receive guidance on approaches to plant selection, care, pruning and fertilizing for your local setting.
Landscape maintenance involves science, craft and art. New approaches to sustainable landscaping are creating opportunities to manage gardens, yards and shared spaces in ways that are minimally disruptive to surrounding environments and involve far less maintenance. Learn how to create a sustainable landscape by exploring sensible ways to manage a garden or planting area with minimal maintenance. From functional, environmental and aesthetic considerations to everything in between, Al's course is designed to train you and/your team to construct landscapes that fit well with their settings and local climate and ecosystem.
Join us, and you’ll learn valuable techniques to develop landscapes that are made to last and function sustainably with local ecosystems. Whether you garden for your home or your clients’ property, this course equips you to deliver productive and lasting results.
What You'll Learn
- Basic landscape maintenance procedures appropriate for the Pacific Northwest and other parts of the country.
- Basic growth and development processes, pruning and maintenance of deciduous and evergreen trees and shrubs.
- Proper planting of trees and shrubs, use of fertilizer and soil amendments, staking procedures and post planting care.
- Protect native ecosystems in the urban and rural-urban fringe.
- Promote conservation and restoration in the landscape venue.
Al Shay has worked in the green industry for the last 34 years at Oregon State University, Eugene Country Club, The Oregon Garden and DeSantis Landscapes. Al holds undergraduate degrees in fine arts from Hunter College/CUNY, horticulture from Oregon State University and a Master of Science in Agriculture from Oregon State University.