- Designed For
- Landscape architects and designers, gardeners, hobbyists
- New dates coming soon!
- 10 weeks
- 2.0 CEH units from the Oregon Landscape Contractor's Board
A properly designed sustainable landscape should be beautiful while saving resources, requiring minimal maintenance and being eco-friendly.
However, since each region has its own unique climate, soil, and native plants, it can be hard to find the pertinent information that's specific to your area and your unique needs.
Online Sustainable Landscape Training
Oregon State University's online Sustainable Landscaping course is designed to be practical and applicable, so you can apply what you learn directly to your landscape.
You'll work directly with Al Shay, who's one of the Pacific Northwest’s leading experts, as he helps you assess your region's unique challenges and opportunities.
From the comfort of your computer, you'll receive personal guidance on:
- proper design and planning
- plant selection
From functional, environmental and aesthetic considerations to everything in between, Al's course is designed to train you and/your team to construct landscapes that fit well with their settings and local climate and ecosystem.
Whether you're a home gardener, conservationist or a professional landscaper, you’ll learn valuable techniques to develop landscapes that are made to last and function sustainably with local ecosystems. This convenient and flexible course equips you to deliver productive and lasting results.
What You'll Learn
- Basic landscape maintenance procedures appropriate for the Pacific Northwest and other parts of the country.
- Basic growth and development processes, pruning and maintenance of deciduous and evergreen trees and shrubs.
- Proper planting of trees and shrubs, use of fertilizer and soil amendments, staking procedures and post planting care.
- Protect native ecosystems in the urban and rural-urban fringe.
- Promote conservation and restoration in the landscape venue.
Al Shay has worked in the green industry for the last 34 years at Oregon State University, Eugene Country Club, The Oregon Garden and DeSantis Landscapes. Al holds undergraduate degrees in fine arts from Hunter College/CUNY, horticulture from Oregon State University and a Master of Science in Agriculture from Oregon State University.