- Designed For
- Anyone who wants to start or advance their career as a legal assistant.
- 2017 Session 1: January 9 - February 24
- 2017 Session 2: March 6 - April 21
- 2017 Session 3: May 1 - June 16
- 2017 Session 4: June 27 - August 12
- 2017 Session 5: August 22 - October 7
- 2017 Session 6: October 17 - December 2
- 14 weeks (7 weeks each)
- Required Texts
- There are five required textbooks for the Paralegal Certificate Course©. View the syllabus for more information.
Paralegalism is one of the fastest growing careers in the country. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that the number of paralegals will increase 28% between 2008 and 2018 - faster than the national average!
We've partnered with the Center for Legal Studies to bring you Oregon State University's renowned paralegal certification program, designed for beginning and advanced legal workers.
Upon completion of the Paralegal Certificate Course© you will be qualified to assist trial attorneys in a variety of duties, including:
- Interviewing witnesses
- Investigating complex fact patterns
- Researching the law
- Preparing cases for courtroom litigation
The Paralegal Certificate Course© is comprised of two, seven-week courses: Paralegal I and Paralegal II. Throughout this intensive, practice-oriented program, you will not only develop a wide range of in-demand legal skills, but also get insight on finding work or starting your own freelance paralegal business.
With direct interaction with the instructor and online collaboration with other students, the Paralegal Certificate Course© is the perfect combination of self-paced learning and individual instruction.
Each week you will complete an average of 12 hours of coursework (readings, writing assignments, discussions, exams), submitted via e-mail. Pass Paralegal I and Paralegal II with a 70 percent or higher and receive your certificate!
Learning Objectives for Paralegal I: Introduction to Paralegal Studies:
- Origins and history of the American legal system
- Meaning and application of important legal terminology
- Attorney and paralegal ethics
- Techniques of jury selection and the jury selection process
- Preparing legal documents
- Substantive law of torts
- Civil procedure and evidence
- Legal interviewing & investigation
- Conducting legal analysis and problem solving
Learning Objectives for Paralegal II: Advanced Paralegal Concepts:
- Importance of precedence
- Legal authority
- Legal researching & tools for navigating law libraries
- Shepardizing & citing your authority
- Computerized legal research
- Legal writing
- Formal and informal advocacy techniques
- Job searching and beginning a freelance paralegal business
The Paralegal Certificate Course© can also be taken via live lecture, DVD and text-only formats. Click here to learn more.