- Designed For
- Professionals who are working in the nonprofit sector or are looking to begin their own nonprofit. This certificate is an introduction and overview of the nonprofit world intended to give you an understanding of the intricacies of managing a nonprofit.
- Online | Instructor-led
- Six weeks
Plan for 3-8 hours of work per week
- 2.0 Units | 20 Hours
- Required Textbook
- Nonprofit Management 101: A Complete and Practical Guide for Leaders and Professionals 1st Edition
By Darian Rodriguez Heymat
- Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap and Others Don't
By Jim Colllins
- Good to Great and the Social Sectors
By Jim Collins
Ask us about Corporate Training.
We can customize this program to fit your organization's specific needs.
Click here to view our FREE on-demand webinar on "Finding Success in Nonprofit Management."
In this course, you will explore the key aspects of founding and/or managing a nonprofit organization. You will define your mission, vision and core values so that you have a clear concept of your organization and how you present your work to others. You will also cover strategic planning and market analysis to ensure that your nonprofit organization has clear goals and fills a real need in the community.
Learn how to Manage Your Nonprofit
In this expert-led course, you will cover essential, must-know information on:
- Creating your own theory of change and logic model to evaluate the effectiveness of your organization
- Recruiting and developing a governing board
- Hiring and volunteer management
- High-level financial planning
- Essential legal requirements for incorporating as a Limited Liability Company (LLC), filing for your 501(c)(3) status and obtaining an Employee Identification Number (EIN)
Start Your Own Nonprofit or Advance an Existing Organization
The assignments in this course will give you several options on how you can engage. You can (1) create materials for a nonprofit that you plan to begin, (2) develop plans for a nonprofit where you currently work or (3) build materials for a nonprofit where you might work in the future.
In this course, you will read foundational texts, examine core elements that all successful organizations share, apply your newfound knowledge to real documents and discuss the role of nonprofits within a larger context of social entrepreneurship.
Other Courses in Nonprofit Management Certificate
Other courses in this series include:
- Managing Nonprofits
- Financial Management and Planning for Nonprofits
- Fundraising and Donor Development
- Marketing in Nonprofits
- Board Management and Governance
This course is a collaboration with OSU College of Business.
What You'll Learn
- Define and create a mission, vision and core values for your nonprofit organization.
- Define and create a theory of change and logic model for your nonprofit organization.
- Analyze the recruitment and development of a governing board, and develop a governance plan.
- Identify key legal elements for managing a nonprofit.
- Create a hiring and volunteer management plan.
- Create a financial plan for your nonprofit organization.
Sally Sorte, M.A., M.P.A., is the founder of Academy 360, a public charter school 501(c)(3) in Denver, CO. Sally served as Executive Director for six years and has recently transitioned to an Executive Consultant role for the school with a focus on finance and governance. Prior to this experience, Sally worked in education at Teach for America and business at Google. She is currently a guest lecturer in Social Entrepreneurship at CU Boulder and Colorado College, a writer for RealClearLife.com and a facilitator for New Politic's Answer the Call leadership program.