- Designed For
- A course for professional and hobbyist gardeners interested in learning sustainable practices at their own pace
- Online, self-paced
- Free for Basic Botany
- All others are $20 per course. Please contact us to learn about group rates.
Learn the art and science of growing and caring for plants at your own pace with Master Gardener™ Online Short Course Series.
These eight courses, based on the OSU Master Gardener curriculum, allow you to learn specific fundamentals of gardening.
Please note: Taking all eight self-paced courses will not allow you to receive a Certificate of Home Horticulture or become an OSU Master Gardener. These courses are entirely self-paced and are not taught by an instructor.
What You'll Learn
- The basics of botany and entomology.
- Integrated pest management and pesticide safety.
- Soils, fertilizers and composting.
- Ornamental, herbaceous plants and woody plants.
- Vegetable, indoor and container gardening.
- Sustainable landscaping.
- Plant pathology.
In this series
Gail Langellotto works with the Oregon State University Master Gardener program, state and local agencies, nonprofits and other non-governmental organizations. She helps to develop a better research-based understanding of how to design and sustainably manage gardens and parks to maximize ecosystem services. Her OSU Extension Service and outreach efforts are focused on communicating research-backed management practices to home gardeners and commercial landscapers.
- Can these courses be taken in sequence in order for a participant to become an OSU Master Gardener?
No. In order to become an OSU Master Gardener, a participant must enroll in Option 2 of the instructor-led Master Gardener Online and complete 40 to 70 volunteer hours in his or her community after finishing the coursework.
- Will an instructor teach these courses?
No. The self-paced Master Gardener Online short course series were created for those who are interested in learning the full-length Master Gardener Online material but do not want to take the entire course. The short courses are self-paced. You must take the full-length Master Gardener Online course in order to learn the material under the guidance of an instructor.
- What is the time commitment required for each course?
You should budget up to six hours for each course: one to two hours to view lectures, one hour for readings, and one to three hours for assignments and quizzes. If you are completely unfamiliar with gardening or basic biology, we recommend budgeting a little extra time for each course.
- I understand each short course includes a quiz. Will I get to see my grade after taking the quiz?
Yes. You will see your grade immediately after completing the quiz.
- I understand that each short course includes assignments. Will my assignments be graded?
No. We only encourage you to complete the assignments for your personal benefit.
- Are there group rates for classes who wish to use one of the short courses?
Yes. If you are an instructor who'd like to use this content with your students, please contact email@example.com for our special class rates.
- Can these courses be taken in sequence to earn a Certificate of Home Horticulture?
No. In order to earn a Certificate of Home Horticulture, you must complete Option 1 of the instructor-led Master Gardener Online.