- Designed For
- Professionals currently working in human resources who want to improve their practices, advance their organization and/or more effectively manage personal processes and policies. Additionally, individuals looking for a career change or advancement.
- June 24 - July 28, 2019
- Online | Instructor-led
- $527 (+ $60 registration fee)
- Five weeks
Plan for 3-8 hours of work per week
- 2.0 Units | 20 Hours
- 2 PDUs with SHRM®
Ask us about Corporate Training.
We can customize this program to fit your organization's specific needs.
Local, state and federal laws affect much of the work done in human resources departments, and it is crucial that, as an HR leader, you understand these regulations. Our Legal Aspects course helps you navigate this complicated terrain and ensure that your company maintains a safe, fair and equitable working environment.
Using case studies, lectures and examples, this course will cover the following subject areas:
- Legal Compliance
- Crisis Management
- Risk Management
- Employment and Discrimination Issues
- Health and Safety
This course is a part of the Human Resources Management Certificate, which includes:
- Human Resources: Data-Driven Decision Making
- Human Resources: Strategies for Business Success
- Human Resources: Business Risk Management
- Human Resources Fundamentals
- Human Resources: Employee Recruitment and Retention
- Human Resources: Legal Aspects
This course is not intended as legal advice or official OSU training, nor does it replace speaking with Oregon State University General Counsel or Oregon State University's Human Resources division. For OSU employees who are wanting more information regarding General Counsel or HR Policies, please visit http://eoa.oregonstate.edu/
This course is a collaboration with OSU College of Business.
What You'll Learn
- Design and develop plans to help your company mitigate legal and other risks.
- Consider the best methods for working within appropriate legal aspects.
- Ensure that your company and employees are safe and protected.
Alexander A. Wheatley
Alex Wheatley is an associate with Fisher Phillips in Portland, OR. Alex defends employers in employment-related administrative claims and lawsuits and has litigated several jury trials and argued numerous motions in both state and federal court. He also advises and provides training to company owners and supervisors on issues relating to workplace discrimination, family leave, wage and hour laws, and noncompetition, nonsolicitation, and nondisclosure agreements.
Alex graduated from the University of Alabama and The Northwestern School of Law at Lewis & Clark College. He graduated magna cum laude from Lewis & Clark, where he received the Legal Analysis and Writing Honors Award and served on the Editorial Board of Environmental Law as the Editor for the online journal.
Alex has been admitted to the bar in both Oregon and Washington