- Designed For
- Oregon State Extension Service faculty and staff who want an introduction to the physical yoga practice and mind-body methodology that is the foundation of the practice. This course is also open to participants outside of Oregon State University.
- Available starting October 10, 2017
- Online | Self-Paced
- Ten weeks
Faculty Staff Fitness has partnered with the Extension Service to provide online fitness courses available to Oregon State University faculty and staff around the state. Housed in the College of Public Health and Human Sciences, the Faculty Staff Fitness program is celebrating 30 years of improving fitness and health by providing a variety of workout classes in a welcoming and inspiring environment.
The purpose of this course is to provide you with a comprehensive introduction to the physical yoga practice and mind-body methodology that is the foundation of the practice. You will complete the course armed with the knowledge to safely and wisely participate in a typical "All Level" flow yoga class.
Each week will be comprised of:
- A 45-50 minute video practice session (to be practiced TWICE during the week; this will be key for appropriate progress)
- 2-4 short pose lectures (1-4 minutes each)
- A learning resource (an article or TED talk, for example)
- A meditation
In terms of what this mean for your own practice. You can participate in as much or as little as you would like. However, to provide a more in-depth experience, we have included additional resources and explanations to support each weeks video practice.
This program provides the flexibility for you to practice on your own schedule in the comfort of your home.
What You'll Learn
- Practice technique for and demonstrate yogic breath: Ujjayi Pranayama.
- Identify and practice the names, shapes, and safety modifications of the 3 Warrior poses in addition to the sequence of 3 Vinyasa poses.
- Identify and practice the names, shapes, and safety modifications for Jathara Parivartanasana, Prasarita Padottanasana, and Parivrtta Ardha Hanumanasana. Apply the mechanics of midline action in twists and forward folds.
- Identify and practice the names, shapes, and safety modifications for Virabhadrasana I Variation, Parivrtta Balasana, and Dhanurasana.
Dee has more than 20 years of physical activity leadership and instruction in settings that include our PAC and FSF programs, corporate wellness programs, hospital-based fitness programs and health club management, instruction and personal training. Dee earned her BS in Exercise Science at the University of Oregon and her MS in Exercise Physiology with an emphasis in corporate wellness at the University of Oregon. Dee is an ACSM Certified Exercise Physiologist and ACSM Cancer Exercise Specialist and holds the Exercise is Medicine Level 2 Credential, as well as certifications through MOSSA, EFi Gravity, Freemotion, Reebok and AFAA.