- Always available
100% Online and Self-Paced
- Online | Self-paced
- Discounted rate of $175 for individuals living in the following counties: Baker, Gilliam, Grant, Harney, Lake, Malheur, Morrow, Sherman, Umatilla, Union, Wallowa, Wheeler. Enter county of residence during checkout to receive discount.
Plan for 12-15 hours of coursework
- 1.2 units | 12 Hours
- 12 Continuing Education Units | Oregon Health Authority
Ask us about Workforce Development Training. We can customize this program to fit your organization's specific needs.
According to the Centers for Disease Control, half of all adults have at least one chronic health issue. These issues can range from heart disease to cancer to obesity, and it’s critical that health workers have a firm understanding of these areas and their impact on an individual. Our course will give you the essential training to manage these issues and address chronic health conditions, such as obesity and chronic pain, and know the role of Community Health Workers (CHWs) in the management of these conditions.
Our self-paced online course is designed for Community Health Workers and will teach you cutting-edge theories for approaching chronic health issues. You will gain a solid foundation in managing those conditions and navigate key modules that focus on different areas of chronic health conditions.
After this course, you’ll be able to:
- Explain the difference between acute and chronic health conditions and their respective contribution to leading causes of death.
- Articulate the importance of theory in approaching chronic health conditions and key factors of the two theoretical models presented.
- Describe common manifestations of chronic health conditions and the role of stress as a contributing factor.
- Define obesity, discuss its possible causes, its impact on individuals and society, and strategies for helping those who are obese.
- Define chronic pain, discuss its possible causes, its impact on individuals and society, and strategies for helping those who have chronic pain.
- Explain the role of community health workers in helping individuals with chronic health conditions become effective self-managers.
- Identify a variety of skills for dealing with chronic health conditions.
- Identify a variety of tools for dealing with chronic health conditions.
Oregon State University's Community Health Worker program is proud to be an approved provider of continuing education for the Oregon Health Authority to train traditional health workers.
What You'll Learn
- How to define obesity; discuss its possible causes and its impact on individuals and society; and develop strategies for helping those who are obese.
- Define chronic pain; discuss its possible causes; investigate its impact on individuals and society; and build strategies for helping those with chronic pain.
- Explain the role Community Health Workers serve in helping individuals with chronic health conditions as they become effective self-managers.
- Identify a variety of skills and tools for dealing with chronic health conditions.